PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hayfever
Thread: Hayfever
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2016, 20:28
Yarpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the 1980's I had an ambition to join the RAF as a pilot. However, I suffered from Allergic Rhinitis - a form of hayfever except that I was allergic to agricultrual dust. During the wheat and barley harvest my face would stream.

This was obviously a 'no no' for pilot selection so I sought advice. The ENT consultant offered me an injection which would sort me for a couple of years. Alternatively, he could perform a 'Diathermy of Turbinates' procedure. This is basicly nose cauterization.

I elected for the latter. I went into the operating theatre with a blocked nose and came out with a clear one. It's stayed that way ever since.

A OASC I was asked if I had ever suffered Hay Fever. I told them about the rhinitis. 'Was this okay?' I asked. 'Only if you want to be a pilot!' was the reply.

Suffice to say I passed the medical.

Once in the RAF I attended Aviation Medicine training at RAF North Luffenham. The New Zealand doctor taking the course discussed Hayfever. Apparently he knew a lot of pilots with 'summer colds'.

His view was that 'if you are thick enough to tell them about your Hayfever you are probably too thick to be a pilot!'

My advice, ask your GP for a referral to an ENT consultant. Pay, if necessary.