PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEWA deduction
Thread: DEWA deduction
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2016, 15:39
nolimitholdem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the majority making a career decision is not done based on the environment but once in situ acting like a responsible human being and getting your fam & kids to do their bit is wholly reasonable.

Intellectually tying the two together? Ha nice try.
Oh I see. So you're doing the "change from within" thing, is that it? Now that you're living in the country with the largest carbon footprint per capita on the planet, you're going to "do your bit"?

Honestly, I just couldn't write anything funnier if I tried.

You live in a desert. With man-made snow in a mall. With golf courses that consume massive amounts of the most precious substance on earth. Created by consuming massive amounts of energy to desalinate. The entire city is air-conditioned for most of the year, by energy produced by burning massive amounts of natural gas. The vehicle of choice for most pilots is certainly not a small car, or a hybrid. Is it? Massive glass structures designed solely for ego, not suitability for the environment. And on it goes.

Tell us all again, how is tying holier-than-thou scolding of a colleague for energy wastefulness some kind of intellectual leap from choosing to support such a place with your labour? The waste in Dubai is systemic, not the result of one or two bad choices about which type of light bulbs are more efficient.

Go ahead and be a "responsible human being", but at least be intellectually honest enough to admit it is a purely idealogical choice, not one with any chance of actually affecting anything in practical terms.

Not that there isn't value in sticking with your convictions - hey, it's a good example for the kiddies - but deluding oneself about the impact of your actions is somewhat....quixotic.