PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dad never said much about the war when he came back.
Old 25th Jan 2016, 14:20
papajuliet

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My father had what could be said to be a "good war". He was an RAF pre-war regular and spent much of his time opening up RAF airfields in the west country.
An uncle, a Lancaster pilot, was killed on a Berlin raid - he, memorably, said that he didn't like flying at night.
Other uncles were in the RAF and the Army. One [ a gunner ] who came out of Calais in 1940, then went to North Africa, Sicily and Italy. He would never speak of his experiences.
Another [ older uncle ] was in WW1. With the arrogance of youth I once asked what it was like - he roared "WHAT WAS IT LIKE, WHAT WAS IT LIKE....!!" - I quickly shut up.
My father in law was an infantryman [ Desert Rats ]. He went through Alamein, North Africa, Sicily, Italy, back to the UK, then Normandy through NW Europe into Germany. For years afterwards he suffered "flashbacks". It took a great deal to get him talking about his experiences and, even then, the memories were of the humour.Interestingly he respected the Germans, thought little of the Italians and even less of the Yanks.
What I also found interesting was that they all, without exception, came out of the war as committed Labour supporters and it seems to have been their experience of the officer class, at close quarters, which made them like that.