PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett and East West
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2016, 14:01
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stationaie - EW and TN did not have a codeshare arrangement.

The TAARSAN Univac 494 system was not capable of handling the extra space required and nor was the replacement 1182. As the 494 was on its way out and while the 1182 was being put in place the old girl cacked herself just prior to Christmas and dumped weeks of PNRs (basically booking) causing chaos.

It basically did a "Hal" and in a response that even Univac couldn't understand ensured its survival by offloading files and creating space so it could operate properly. And, no it definitely wouldn't open the pod bay doors.

There were through fares matching those of Ansett with the mixed carriers to all of the TN network from WNY and DPO. Not sure about ABX but I believe they also had them as oncarriage was such a large part of the passenger mix there.

There was great conjecture within the TN F27 ports regarding the pullout as it was in direct contravention of Australian National Airlines Commission charter regarding servicing rural Australia. This was circumvented by appointing EW as a service provider to continue the coverage.

Desperate to get the F28s into the coast I sat down with Nifty Nev Maguire one day during a barbecue at my place (Nev lived at Braddon's Lookout just out of town and commuted) and ran through the numbers on F27 ops SYD WNY DPO SYD as a way to move the aeroplane needed to be moved back into SYD base each week through here and open a new market. I recently found the carbon copy of the original copy of the letter to Max Surplice at EW SYD requesting it. Presented a copy to Bryan Grey after a very boozy EW function at the Gateway Hotel with a group of staff in I think his room keeping going. Bryan was as smashed as the rest of us and took the letter and listened. I wrote it off as a lost cause.

A week later I got a call on duty at DPO and it was Bryan. He told me i wasn't getting my F27 to which I went "oh bugger" to which he replied you are getting 3 F28s a week and you had better f***ing fill them!! EWe did and the service was daily originating HBA within months taking 2 727-200 loads each way a week off TN which Ron Whyman was only to quick to point out to me in the Stork one day.

Apologies for the length.

That was the short version though

Best all

EWL