PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 25th Jan 2016, 08:44
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumbing down is the deliberate oversimplification of intellectual content within education, literature, cinema, news, video games and culture in order to relate to those unable to assimilate more sophisticated information.The term …, meaning: "to revise so as to appeal to those of little education or intelligence".

… It often involves diminishment of critical thought involving the undermining of intellectual standards within language and learning; thus trivializing meaningful information, culture, and academic standards, as is the case of popular culture.
Tourist, I would not wish to label individuals or group membership by attempting to simplify as above.

We operate in a very complex world; human behaviour is difficult to describe and understand, not that this means a complex solution, but it might require a different approach which currently comes from academia. I regret not having sufficient understanding or the means to communicate this, thus I post opinion and academic references seeking explanatory understanding, through dialogue, two way communication.

One of the industry’s tasks is to translate research into practical applications; the best people to do that are those within the industry, particularly those on the front line who could have unique understanding of how individuals actually operate.
Perhaps the second part of the definition of dumbing down applies to some attitudes in the industry.

Automation Dependency is not a simple cause-effect relationship, that the use of more automation results in a dependency these systems; or that because humans suffer error we should replace them with automation.

Automation is not a dependency as with an addiction, requiring abstinence (fly manually) or a new temperance movement (automate everything), but that it is a 'prosthetic', something which is essential for modern operation, but can be misunderstood or misused.