PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restarting PPL - in own 182?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2016, 03:17
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest you crack on with your PPL and then continue in your 182 when you get it. You don't have to do all of you training in your own machine and if you start (again) in a Cessna then it'll be a bit more familiar when you switch to your 182.

All this talk of 'complex' is nonsense. Wobbly propellor theory can be learnt in a very short time and it really is not rocket science. You'd just add the use of a VP prop to your normal lessons, so I really fail to see how that's going to extend your tuition by any significant time. A good deal of military pilots have no flying behind them and jumped into Bulldogs and Grob Tutors from day one.

Good engine handling is going to take longer but that would be the case if you learnt in your own 182 or not. Chances are you'd probably take less time to become very familiar with your engine because you've got a very vested interest in looking after the donk and would be worth some extra study. Cowl flaps, schmowl flaps....open or close them to keep the temperature according to the book. Apart from that, it's big 172 with a lovely dose of pretty decent performance and a machine that I regularly enjoy flying.

In the meantime, go and book your lessons to get started with your PPL (II). Who knows, you might hate it second time round and I'd have saved you the cost of buying a 182