PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 anyone?
Thread: Jet2 anyone?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2016, 00:10
DADDY-OH!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beagle, once again, displaying levels of ignorance commensurate with someone who hasn't actually operated as aircrew for a UK Charter or Scheduled carrier.

If I may, I'll expand you on a few 'inaccuracies' that you've stated.

1) Jet2 is a not the only airline to carry 'chavs' as you so tolerantly put it. However, they have a Zero Tolerance policy towards 'On-board Unruliness', where the Board have given the full support to Crews who elect to divert & weight of Jet2's Legal assets to prosecute offenders & recover diversion & other costs from perpetrators.

2) Jet2 OWN OUTRIGHT most of their substantial fleet, as opposed to expensive Leasing, negating flights at 'Ungodly' hours. The 1st wave tends to be outbound ex-UK by early/mid-morning returning early/mid afternoon which is when the 2nd wave departs. Both fleets are usually tucked up in bed by 01-0200.

3) Jet2 are a growing company. Share price was 75p when I joined in early 2010, it's currently at 575p. Not a bad achievement really and considering the earnings-to-share ratio indicates that they are undervalued.

4) They are finally getting into the idea of 'Pilot Retention' as the recent T&C's improvements have shown but there's someway to go yet. They've upped the money to £90K+ Basic for a Line Shag Capt. with FDA & Sector Pay on top of that plus 8% put into a Pension. Compare that to 15-20% for TOM, TCX & VAA or 1% at TAG & Jet2 has some work to do there, but they know that. For some of the ex-Channel Express stalwarts here, they're also get 'Share Grants'. Jet2 could increase or re-introduce either of these as weapons in their armoury without re-visiting salary increases, in order to retain or entice pilots. The same can be said of Staff Travel.

5) Job 'Enjoyment' is an individual thing. I'm not ex-Military but my 30-year civilian flying career has taken me around the world a few times, in addition to Polar-to-Polar, paradropping, aerial photography, air taxi, bush & beach flying, short, medium, long & ultra long-haul on 2,3 & 4 engined aircraft of the piston, turbo-prop & jet varieties. I'm still fortunate that I drive to work, sometimes at 4am, with a smile on my face. This is because, I've found that it's not what you're flying or where to. But who you're with. Jet2's strength is it's diversity of crew, young & 'first airline' to older 'sweats & vets' looking for a quieter life & 350-400 hours in 12 months is envied by former colleagues of other airlines. It suits me fine for the moment but I have 20 years left to go.

All in all, if you're Northern UK-based it's a pretty good gig... but don't tell everyone...

Last edited by DADDY-OH!; 25th Jan 2016 at 00:11. Reason: additional information