PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2016, 12:39
PIK3141

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I've been asked what I would do, so I offer the following :-
Firstly on this subject I'm an amateur as I hope all others are. If you're a professional in any way connected, then you're probably breaching your terms of employment posting here.

I would start by requiring information :-
From PIK :-
What is the current agreement(s) with RYR and when do they expire ?
Did the fabled RYR fee of 50p a head ever exist and does it still exist today ?
The broken down accounts showing cost / revenue from every part of the airfield operation.

From PIK and RYR jointly :-
In winter why do you operate two flights a day with the same aircraft, but different crews when say three aircraft sit at the terminal all day ? Why 1st departure at 0610 ish, last arrival at 11pm ish when two aircraft could be sent out at say 0900 ish, both back at 1600 ish ? The point being tighter hours for terminal opening hence reduced cost and better timings for staff and passengers alike.

From RYR :-
Why did you run down the PIK - STN to one mid day return when the suits required a morning return and an evening return and used those flights ? (Parking cars in the premium car park 1 in front of the terminal for the day.)
Same question wrt DUB ?
Why did you transfer the STN and DUB to GLA, with what must be increased cost in fees and increased cost in flight-time / routing.
Was the DUB transfer just to challenge Aer Lingus ?
Do you remain at PIK just to entice better fees out of GLA / EDI ?
Therefore are you ever going to leave PIK ?

From GLA / EDI Airports
What are RYR paying and for how long are they contracted ?
What do your other Operators think of RYR paying reduced fees if that is the case ?

From GLA / EDI Airlines
If RYR pay reduced fees why do you put up with it ?
Or have your fees reduced too ?

From the Scottish Government :-
What is the boundary by which the value of PIK is judged ?
Is it the Scottish economy ?
Is it the Ayrshire economy ? You claim the value of £60M ?
Is it the Airport and surrounding Aerospace cluster ? Around 3000 jobs ?
Is it the Airport alone ? You claim around 1300 jobs ?
Presumably the politics of shutting PIK and reducing Ayrshire to a commuter dormitory are not attractive ?

From the Scottish / UK Governments :-
I note the recent investment by Spirit of £4.1M in a new paint facility, and the £7M in the new Coastguard facility. I note HMS Gannet continues as a Merlin TDY facility and has a several year Joint Warrior commitment for fixed wing types. PIK seems the No 1 diversion for Brize, and the No 1 onload / offload alternative to Brize. Plus all other military operations.
Care to state the strategic value of PIK ? Any why should the P8s not be PIK based rather than building new hangars and taxiways at Lossiemouth ?

Notes :-
Today I note several exec jets, 3 training visits by Virgin B789, an MD11 freight charter, a F50 rugby charter and the first of 3 Cargolux B747Fs due this evening which operate in the next 24 hours. The 747s, at the weights they land at and take-off at, need every metre of that runway.

Having used the terminal last September and often before, I don't actually think it is that bad. I've had worse boarding Easyjet at GLA and RYR at EDI. There are people in my office living in Clydebank and Linwood who choose to fly from PIK, not GLA.

MRO activity exists with the 5 bay RYR hangars and hopefully will soon be restored in the Polar hangar beyond ad hoc and that Thomas Cook 757.

Finally :-
Get me the answers I ask for above, then I'll tell you what I would do about it, although I suspect I already know, and one way or the other, RYR would not like it.