PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air traffic controller's assistants
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2003, 01:19
Andrew M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also a VATSIM "controller" - wouldn't relate any terms or whatsoever with real controlling though. They are two different ball games - but still good for keeping interest - and basic skills I suppose too.

- After all, there is real ATCO's using the VATSIM too.

I think the main idea of going to Bournemouth for the college of ATC, is that you stay there in rented accomodation, rather than commuting. I am in Glasgow, so therefore I wouldn't fancy commuting .

I don't know the exact age requirement, I would be interested in this too. Also, as for education requirements, NATS ask for Highers/A levels (or equivilent - NVQ/SVQ is ok!) completed to exam level ie: you don't need to pass; as long as you have evidence you sat the whole course.

(NOTE: The scottish Higher has a D grade - which means you passed all internal assessments, but failed the actual exam. I'm guessing this is what they mean by study to exam level)

So ATSA, or ATCA (you say tom-ate-toe, I say tomato type thing), would require less than that - just the aptitude to learn ATC and perform to a satisfactory level - and show the potential to be a fully fledged ATCO eventually.

RE: The age thing - because of the shift work ??? I thought any age restiction would be to ensure a standard level of maturity is met. There is a set age restriction for ATCO's as we know (for NATS), but if the ATC at an airport is "independant" of NATS = EG: Prestwick, then wouldn't that be at their own discretion ?

PS: Your BTEC would be at the same level or above the level of an A-level/Higher, so I expect that would count as your period of study through to exam level. It is also a back-up to fall back on if you don't pass the NATS assessments - even if you fail the NATS course after that then there is still the chance of employment - hey, you did do well to get that far, so you must still be of use to NATS even before you start the course.

A borderline fail/pass would get you a ATCA post with NATS I expect, or a job as a blip-driver. (There is the VATSIM thing coming in )

All the best,
Andrew