PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2016, 07:52
shaun ryder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dboy. I have been there and done it and nothing comes close to flying. Would you prefer to be on standby for your biz jet or slogging away at some mundane task in an office? Groundhog day springs to mind. On average compared to a 'normal job' there is no comparison. I watch my neighbours jumping in their cars at 06:30 every morning 9-5 and I pity them. Rush hour traffic every day? No thanks. Sure we work unsociable hours as well but there is no comparison. I am at home more now than I have ever been, my kids actually know who I am! I have been through the hating flying thing and now I truly know how fortunate I am to have my career. Sometimes you have to happy with your lot mate.

Dr Mike Oxgreen. As for starting at 43 well nothing is impossible. I would caution trying to fall back on some obviously lost skills such as the IMC rating (whats that, 15hrs instruction?). It will not make your IR training any easier. Hows your situational awareness these days? As for finding the ATPL exams a piece of cake just because you are a maths genius that just makes you sound cocky. You are 43 now, we don't learn as quick as the youngsters, something you may want to factor in.. In my opinion should you choose to embark on this very steep climb, I would start with a completely clean sheet, free from preconceptions with a good dose of humility thrown in. You will be sniffed out in no time otherwise. Remember you will be up against the younger and better candidates (I hate saying this, but in my experience true). Nobody cares about 'life experience' either. Good for a chat maybe but not applicable to ability in the flight deck. A lot of older FO's carry can carry a chip on their shoulder, especially the ones who have had successful careers in a previous life and are now disillusioned with flying, would that be you? Why do you want the career in aviation? Is it because you love to fly? Are you passionate about aviation? If so why do you no longer fly? Some questions you may want to ask yourself.

Finally regarding basing, you really can not enter in to this industry thinking that you will never have to move. Especially at the start of your career. You should be willing to go anywhere to bag that first job, so get the idea out of your head now.