PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 23rd Jan 2016, 05:47
1201alarm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automation would have to consider all of the reverse paths in Fig 1, yet there is little or no data which identifies the mechanism of the potentially large number of ‘hidden’ (unreported) successes.
Interesting post althogether. Rephrased in non-scientific terms it means that we have no statistics about how often the humans actually saved the day.

This does not only apply to abnormal situations, but all the daily decisions pilots do with regard to passenger and weather irregularities, diversion decisions, etc. Every experienced commercial pilot will know what I mean. There are everyday little situations and surprises.

Which bings me to #173
Nonlinear behaviors are why I am not terribly worried about autonomous airliners in my lifetime.
Personally, I believe a fully autonomous airliner would be way too much non-linear, because every level of interaction between nowadays independant systems would lead to enourmous complexity and non-linear behaviour. It won't be able to provide 1 on 10 million.