PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Granby Memories
Thread: Granby Memories
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 22:29
Tengah Type

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Riyadh - 21 January just after midnight I was sleeping in my "Bedroom", actually a part of the villa dining room, when the Air Raid Warning siren went off. Out of bed wearing only a pair of shreddies, quickly donning Battle Bowler and Respirator, and taking cover under the washbasin in the downstairs toilet to avoid any flying glass from the window. Short time later a very load bang and shaking of building, and a covering of plaster from the ceiling. Very warlike NOT.

After a few days we got rather blase about the Scuds, and being confident that the Patriots were dealing with them, we stayed out to watch the firework display from the Patriot batteries. Even took photos of the firings. That is until a 9" metal rod came through the Int Offs Portakabin roof and missed him by inches. After that the shelters seemed a better idea.

The other noteable event was, during the early hours one morning, working in HQ Air Tasking Order office, putting the AAR details in the ATO, there was gunfire in the corridor outside. Since we were several floors below ground level under the Saudi Air Force HQ my first thought was that it was Iraqi Special Forces who were not going to take prisoners. In a room of about 100 US Senior Officers I was the only person with a weapon. Fortunately what had happened was that a Saudi guard had fired his rifle by accident and an American guard had "returned fire". Nobody was hurt and there was no need for a Gunfight at the OK Corral. The next day we had a room full of "Rambos".