PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurigny Air Services
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 22:20
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AeroMad

Nice to get an informed, informative, substantiated & well-mannered reply - so different to some that I've received !
I am not suggesting that AUR are near bankruptcy; indeed, it probably isn't because SoG are subsidizing it. I'm simply relaying the facts (as reported by the airline itself - as well as the media) & wondering what the future holds & pointing out contradictions & valid arguments.
In my opinion, the future holds more of the same, although I agree that the situation should improve somewhat. However, I would point out that AUR was bought by The States SOLELY (or so they said) to protect the Gatwick slots. Again, in my opinion, a sound & apparently sensible decision. But, it did open up a whole can of worms with reference to even handed airline policies & possible favouritism towards their wholly owned airline etc.
However, it did not stop there, did it ? AUR's finances meant that SoG had to bail it out, or lose it (&, as mattc56410 says, the value of the airline to the island lies not just in its Gatwick operation, or in its financial performance). That meant that the Guernsey taxpayers are now subsidizing AUR, whether they like it , or not - all of this landed on them without their approval by The States, who had not seen fit to warn the public that this would be the case.
To my mind, the Guernsey electorate need to be directly asked the question as to whether they understand the importance of "their airline" to their welfare & economy; & then be asked if it supports the SoG decision to bail it out both now & in the future. I have no objection to The States ensuring the future of its airline in this democratic way & would, being "left leaning" politically, support such an action & policy IF it were approved by the island's taxpayers & electorate.
I hope that you are right about the Dornier. So far, the whole affair has been an unmitigated disaster. Surely, no one disagrees with that statement ?
As far as Alderney is concerned, I feel that, on the face of it, it could be said that the Alderney residents appear to be unreasonable in their demands for the level of service, & the price they want to pay for it. It is a very small population which CANNOT support or sustain such a level, or price, of service. But, look closer, & realise that theirs' is an extremely small community with no other effective way on & off of the island - notwithstanding Bumblebee (which is a very small launch that only operates twice per week Apr.-Oct. & NOT AT ALL in the Winter !). The nature of Alderney is such that without accessible & reasonably priced air travel, the whole future viability of their community IS under severe threat.
The only way out of this would be for Guernsey States to acknowledge Alderney's unique problems & to provide a "reasonably priced" & efficient/effective air service as a Public Service Obligation. After all, they should have no fundamental objection to doing this, as they have already bought AUR & have bailed it out - & are continuing to bail it out for the foreseeable future (mainly to Guernsey's benefit)! Could they not do the same for Alderney ?
By the way, in these days of European intervention/interference in competitive, commercial & social matters, could the SoG expect to be able to continue to treat this ONE airline in this way without being accused of indulging in unfair & discriminatory business legislation etc ?
Just a question, matcc - not an accusation, or a dig, or mud throwing.

mattc56410

Thank you for your reply, although it falls short of actually providing any plausible or supportable & coherent answers as to why I should have angered you so much on this subject; or why, in your original post, you made such unfounded assumptions about my opinions. I guess that I will just have to accept your animosity & that you just don't like me or my argument style. At least it will save me on the Christmas card & the cost of a postage stamp - & you too, come to think of it. So, this situation is not a total loss !
But, I would counsel you on taking good care of your blood pressure, if this is how you react to someone that you do not agree with !
Albeit, without the necessary level of civility, I don't think that there is any further need to prolong our exchanges.