PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yvonne Pope Sintes Dan Air & Mortons AS
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 18:44
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Morton Air Services

Yvonne was with Morton's at Gatwick when I was seconded there as a rookie in 1967. She mainly flew the single-pilot Dove as a skipper so, being a co-pilot on Herons and Daks, I never flew with her. I don't recall her being a skipper on the Dakota, which - with its manual, un-tabbed flight controls - would be quite a handful in turbulence for someone of her slight stature.

She was the Morton's (BALPA) PLC chairman during the Bristow campaign of 1968 to eliminate BALPA's role in negotiating terms of employment on behalf of pilots in the financially-ailing BUA Group. It was hard for her to persuade the older Morton pilots that, although they were not on the BUA seniority list, theirs and the company's futures would be affected by Bristow's imposition of personal contracts. I did a little bit of canvassing on her behalf, and she was very calm, patient and supportive.

Soon after Morton's was merged into the fledgling BUIA, Yvonne left for greener pastures in Dan Air. The rest is a big chapter in the establishment of female airline pilots.