PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it the end of a transparent safety culture in EU?
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 17:17
Weary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fortissimo,

I cannot say I agree with you. IMO a parliamentary body, or indeed regulator, should be subject to open scrutiny by the people it purports to represent and/or protect. That cannot be done with one side limiting the flow of information.
As long as the general public risk their lives by buying tickets and travelling on aeroplanes, I suggest it is they who are the most interested party's.

On the subject of Eurocontrol, as things stand, the present arrangement makes perfect sense from a facilitative and safety point of view.

As for EASA licensing though, in the space of the last 13 years I have held a UK ATPL, a JAA ATPL, and now an EASA ATPL - this in addition to two other ATPLs from non-European countries that I held from before then. I would be deluding myself to claim that the EASA licence is superior, or that the transition has somehow made me a safer pilot. That said, I do get what you are saying though w.r.t. individual member states and political tantrums !