PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurigny Air Services
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 17:12
JetJamie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WoW! That escalated rather quickly. I think the nub of the matter is down to one thing from which all decisions must be made.

Is GR there to make a profit or to serve the public? Economical or social benefit? It can't do both.

I believe that they do rather well in serving the public. The choice of routes is spectacular for a 'small' island of 65k. However, it will never make a profit in its current guise, under its current instructions and management.

They just received another bailout of £20m to pay off existing debt and a further £5.5m to cover expected losses for the next 1-2 years, which reinforces that. Alderney will never be profitable. It needs a PSO and the states to just accept it'll cost approx £4m to run over say a 3 year period. Whether GR is the right operator for that PSO is another matter. The Do intro has been a disaster and ACI residents are quite rightly up in arms. A number of flights to SOU have been cancelled this week and all ACI customers re-routed through GCI to/from SOU all because (apparently) they don't have a serviceable a/c that can fly in icing conditions.

The States cannot keep bemoaning the reduction of pax/tourist numbers. They have made a rod for their own back with the closed skies policy. It works to protect GR but will never work to increase competition, which will bring more footfall. I feel sorry for their MD trying to keep both the public and his political masters happy. It's a no-win.

Guidance needs to come from the politicians. Accept it's going to cost £x per taxpayer to continue to fund the choice of flights whilst making big losses or decide to turn it into profit. They cannot do both.

Just a personal perspective by the way!