PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restarting PPL - in own 182?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 15:42
2high2fastagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned in a C152 and then bought a TR182 just after I qualified and converted to it. It worked really well for me and I'd recommend it. That's not to say learning in a 182 is a bad thing.

Things to consider.

1. It might take you a while to find a nice 182, assuming you haven't got a third of a million to spend for a new one. What are you going to do in the meantime (get started is my advice)
2. Do you really want to be circuit bashing in your expensive 182? The engine won't like that very much. It won't like PFL (practice forced landing) training much either. The o540 on my 182 loves long cruising runs.
3. The 182 is much faster than most training aircraft. The controls are also heavy and things happen a lot faster. That might extend your training as others have already noted.
4. Check on insurance. When my wife wanted to learn to fly and share the load with me, the ab initial training insurance premium for the 182 was prohibitive. She learned on a C152 instead.
5. RG or Fixed? I see there's another Turbo retractable owner posting who seems to love his machine as much as I adore mine. Cruising at 151 knots for 49lph gets you places, though the polo mint wheels on grass strips makes life interesting in the winter. There have been massive debates on this forum in the past about the merits of both. I've calibrated my aircraft and it goes 19 knots faster with the wheels up.

Overwhelmingly my advice is to take the time to find a really nice aircraft. Find an engineer you trust who will thoroughly survey the aircraft for you. Then all you have to do is spend money for the next ten years getting the aircraft just the way you want it. I'm eight years in and it's nearly sorted!