PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dad never said much about the war when he came back.
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 13:15
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TTH - I have a couple of books that might interest you, I will dig them out and let you have the titles. I also have one or two wartime publications, to replace those at home when I was a child and subsequently disappeared - one has the picture on the cover of firemen going up house stairs with a hose, that was also used on the collecting stockings for the Fire Service Benevolent Fund. The original painting was by a fellow member of Dad's crew.

The night the City Temple was bombed Dad and Ernest Lough were on the same crew. The City Temple was where as a boy Ernest Lough recorded "Oh for the Wings of a Dove". Down in the FI in 86 opening Mt Pleasant there were 3 of us RAF officers at MPA; the boss was a wg cdr nav from Lyneham.One day amongst the dross on the radio (FIBS) came Ernest Lough. I made some comment about Dad and EL having been on the same crew that night in 1941. "In that case" said the boss, "that night your Dad and mine were on the same crew!" BIG silence.