PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dad never said much about the war when he came back.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 17:22
CyclicRick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My father fought in the Korean war with the South Staffords and only told me one or two little anecdotes which I will never forget. Finding any information about it is truly a difficult task, it's called the forgotten war for a reason.
I had the privilege of chatting to a lovely old chap at my cousins wedding one day and after telling him I was ex AAC (cold war hero!) he then proceeded to tell me that he was at Arnhem as a Para! Well that was the end of any other entertainment on offer for me. He told me so much about it, riveting stuff and such a modest and humble man, praise for everyone else but himself.
He even mentioned that (if you remember 'A Bridge Too Far') that he was with Urqhart as they were running between the houses dodging the Germans!
Strangely it is also very rare to talk to someone from 'the other side' about their experiences which is why I was very surprised to meet an ex Luftwaffe anti-aircraft gunner who was stationed in France during the war who confessed that he had no idea if they ever hit anything but had a bloody good go at it, and even more interesting was a an old chap who was stationed on the Moehne dam the night it was attacked, he mentioned that they all knew straight away they were in for it and ran off the dam to safety after firing a few token rounds at the Lancs.
I'm still trying to find out more about my Fathers exploits.
We really do need to talk to these people as much as we can, they have a story that needs to be told.