PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerovan crash, Manchester, 1957
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2016, 15:26
TomUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerovan on feature film.

I ended up at this site after seeing an unusual aircraft (to me at least) in a 1956 film called "The Hostage". A low budget British film in black and white, shown on TV (January 2016).
The registration was G-AJKP, and I discovered from a registration database that it was a Miles Aerovan. What interested me was that on the apron, the rear part of the fuselage was lying a few yards away from the aircraft. The storyline required the pilot (played by Ron Randall) to dump a packing case into the sea. The box was slid into the rear of the aircraft. I expected the rear part of the fuselage to then be re-attached, but the aircraft took off without it, leaving the rear end open to the sky.
Over the sea, the (lone) pilot selected autopilot and went to the rear to shove the packing case out of the open end of the fuselage.
I did further research on the aircraft and it had originally been owned by a company in Birmingham, and later changed ownership, moving to St. Helier, Jersey. At the time of the 1956 film the owner is listed as F.G. Miles Ltd., Shoreham, Sussex. They had acquired it in February 1954.
On 21st March, 1958, two years after being used in the film, it is listed as 'destroyed'. Does anyone know if it was destroyed in an accident, or was is just scrapped?

Last edited by TomUK; 21st Jan 2016 at 16:00.