PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Autumn 2014
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2016, 14:47
Paper Lad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my experience of the recruitment process.....

My background, 15000 hours, mostly Airbus, 8000 PIC. Thinking of escaping from the sandpit.

On line application completed late last year followed by short telephone interview and offer of assessment day in mid Jan.

The verbal and numerical reasoning tests completed but I found them quite challenging and the practice examples given in the test don't really represent the difficulty of the actual test. The psyche test is what it is, just be honest.

The assessment day begins with a tour of the offices. I'm not sure of the point of seeing lots of peeps in the call center and at work stations. Maybe interesting for inexperienced guys but for everyone else, it's just a series of offices.

Short company presentation followed by a group excersise and personal interview. I found the group excersise simple. The interview was conducted by two pilots with no technical Q's included and no obvious traps. This is followed by a short debrief and, if successful, off to the sim.

The sim is where I came a cropper. Excersise conducted in 737-800 sim and despite the assertions of the sim profile briefing notes, I found it was being used more as a procedural test than an excersise in learning and crew cooperation. It will be especially challenging for non typed, as in my case, peeps and, if that is the case, I would strongly recommend getting some practice sim time. No feedback is offered after the sim check.

A few days later came a phone call from HR dude telling me that I was unsuccessful and offering feedback and a suggestion to reapply. The phone call was, I thought, a nice touch.

I was surprised at how disappointed I felt with the rejection. After all, I've dealt with Indian monsoons, taking 320 and 330 into Kathmandu, typhoons in the Far East, being threatened by bombs and other not so everyday occurrences but then deemed unsuitable to operate a 757 into Tenerife!

In summary, mostly a nice, friendly bunch of guys, some of whom go out of their way to help you through the process, and you could do a lot worse than take a job with Jet2, especially if it's your first airline job. Would I reapply? I dunno, only time will tell but I've probably 'burnt my bridges' by posting the above.

Last edited by Paper Lad; 21st Jan 2016 at 17:34.