PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2016, 14:15
planesandthings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is hope

FREDA

Not sure if I came across you yesterday but certainly a great photo; I was the young chap flying the big club Duo Discus at Lasham yesterday afternoon, I used to be a cadet in the ATC and for me it was a big boost in many ways, especially the camps and when we did have gliding, I second your good wishes to those still involved with the VGSs for the speedy recovery but offer that all cadets in the ACO should be aware that there are opportunities for cadets in their own time to glide even during this pause at their local gliding clubs! Many civilian clubs are 'Junior Gliding Centers' and offer flying for reduced rates and even sometimes free for just helping out.

I left the ATC just after the pause to focus on civilian gliding and work, the support given in the civilian side is to no end from presolo at 15 to now being helped through my BGA FI Rating (B1 Cat equivalent) at 18 to become a professional instructor for the upcoming season.
I'm not alone in this, there at Lasham and across the country there are hundreds of young people who have gone through the system and have learnt to fly gliders, sure there may be some expense but the costs are minimal compared to the benefits. It's just a shame more WGLOs and Squadrons have not informed cadets about this as I'm sure there would be people who would jump at the chance if only they knew!

Planesandthings