PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 13:32
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jwscud
Tourist - regarding your idea of a dynamic V1, I agree it is technologically possible. The main question any good analysis would ask is is it worth it? Perf A does not exactly provide massive margins at the moment (look at wet takeoff performance on a limiting runway for example) so I fundamentally don't see there is much more than an extra few hundred kilos of payload to get out of it.
I'm not sure I agree.
I have been spoiled by the military allowing me to play and do things like abort at V1 in various Perf A transport aircraft.

I think the margins are enormous to allow for very poor pilots having a bad day.

Originally Posted by Jwscud
In contrast, the additional risks from cutting margins entirely to the bone is in my view not warranted. Why would anybody waste billions of dollars certifying their dynamic stop-go aid when they could just program HAL with Perf A?
As you mention, the corporate market would certainly be interested in widening the land options. That is worth big money to them.

The other option of course is to not take the margin at all and just gain the increase in safety.