PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - buying an albatros for transportation
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2016, 18:43
TheEnthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neutrino tau
Do you think an ex-military jet aircraft such as Aero L39 albatros. would fit my purpose?
Some people are saying unsuitable because you don't yet have the experience...but you say you understand you will need 500 hours followed by fast jet training before attempting this. I'm no expert (only recently got my license) but it doesn't seem so unsafe if you can really find the time to do all of that training. At my current rate as a hobby pilot it would take me 10 years to get that many hours. Do you have plans to take time some months off work to get it done?? I agree with those who say that instrument rating and very regular use are necessary if you want to rely on it for transportation. Would you really have time for a job on top of that?! In terms of performance of the plane I can't see why it wouldn't do the job. I always fancied a Jet Provost but (quite apart from the fact I can't hope to have 500 hours or fast jet training any time soon) they are on a UK-only VFR-only permit.

Given that I'll be flying a lot, do the operational costs decrease compared to another 2 seater SEP aircraft ?
At 370 US gallons of fuel per hour (at full power) this seems unlikely.

Do jet engines get broken more often than propeller ones, is the plane in general safer?
I don't know the answer about safety because I haven't read the stats for this particular category of plane flown by a single private pilot of 500 hours after recent conversion to type. But based on other stats I've seen I would expect the biggest factor affecting safety would be pilot error rather than mechanical reliability. And since the chance of pilot error for any given level of pilot skill tends to increase with power-to-weight ratio of the plane, this would be a statistically less safe aircraft than an SEP. But maybe you can check the stats and prove me wrong