PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A.S.T. Perth (Scone) 1966
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2016, 13:14
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Part of the flight line in November 1965

Hi dont overfil,

In 1966 the aero club occupied part of the tower building, and included catering facilities and a bar. We flying students were promoted to the aero club for messing once we had gained our CPLs: a considerable improvement. The regular students' canteen served reasonable food, but the behaviour of a vociferous minority of the foreign engineering students left much to be desired. I remember plates of food being hurled from one side of the dining area to the other on a couple of occasions during arguments.

Slightly poignant to hear that not everything has changed for the better, but at least Scone remains an active airfield and engineering school. Re the ATPL ground courses, BUA used to send CPL pilots to AST when they had or neared the hours for SCPL or ATPL ("ALTP"). But that practice had ended by the time it would've been my turn, so I had pay for it myself at Sir John Cass College in The Minories, London: commuting there mainly on days off, but sometimes when on home-standby.

Here's part of the apron at Scone, most likely at about midday on 11/11/65 (a Thursday). Course 31 had started about a week earlier.

Quote from DaveReidUK:
"The 150E was the last of the straight-tail models, the 150F and onwards had the swept fin/rudder."

In my previous post about the expansion of the C150 fleet during 1966, I had forgotten that G-ATAT - a 150E - was already there, and that it had the original fin shape. The photo shows clearly, however, that it has the rear-view cockpit windows of the later 150 models. IIRC it also has the electric flaps. So the E-model seems to have marked the transition to the later models. I never understood if their fins were swept for reasons aerodynamic, structural, or merely cosmetic!

Last edited by Chris Scott; 1st Jan 2019 at 18:13. Reason: Photo reinstated