PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 anyone?
Thread: Jet2 anyone?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2016, 11:41
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
In times past, the variety of opportunities available in the RAF for its pilots was a significant factor. We might not have been paid as well as airline people-tube drivers, but we were paid pretty reasonably and the job satisfaction was a key factor.

But that was in times past.

When retention was proving to be an issue, the MoD/CAA working group evolved very good civil licence credit, which would benefit those who had given about 10 years of service and wanted a different career. When 22Gp killed that off, guess what - people started working towards civil licences as soon as they could do so... Then leaving as soon as possible.

Where once there were many different front line aeroplanes and stations, there are now very few. I recently asked about retention in the ME world and was told "They're leaving in droves....".

No chance of a break from the front line to do some quality QFI-ing at a UAS these days. I had such a career break, although I didn't want it at the time. But the UAS world of the early 1990s was excellent - some top people to teach (e.g StopStart) and a good flying training syllabus. No 'grading' and those who were keen did well. But then came grading, followed by the Marston lie and the introduction of 'Strength through Joy' bolleaux with a bit of air experience - mostly from ancient FTRS pilots rather than those taking a break from the front line....

Does it surprise me that people are eager to leave for the mundane life of a people-tube driver on higher pay and better Ts&Cs? Not really - and how sad.