PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 20th Jan 2016, 06:39
1201alarm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tourist, you come over as obsessed and spring loaded, and you make conclusions about people which are of your own making.

ECAM is another way of removing error prone humans from the system as much as possible because we make so many mistakes.
Mostly to make it easy for pilots not to make mistakes while keeping the final authority with the human with regard to what is really appropriate action.

I don't like what I'm saying, I just happen to believe it is true.
You believe. Finally some modesty and reasonableness.

The only challenges unique to the civil aviation sphere are certification, legal and public opinion.
The biggest challenge is to construct a highly complex system where all the systems (which right now are independantly operating from each other) coordinate themselves automatically and without human input and decision making.

I think you need to research the difference between correlation and causation
Do I? Well, I think you need to calm down a bit and stop making conclusions about people.

You think that:-

Pilots fly aircraft.
Aircraft have had less accidents.
Pilots must have got better.
No I don't.

I believe that.

Pilots fly aircraft a lot less than they used to.
Aircraft design and engineering has improved beyond measure.
Systems have been fitted to catch pilot errors, and despite the drop in skill levels, they are doing an excellent job.
You believe.

Well, I believe that it won't be possible to construct a complex machine like an airliner that will operate fully autonomously in an real world environment at the same cost and with a safety rate of 1 in 10 million. It will just not be handable, it will be too complex, and do way too much "funny" stuff.

However what is clear there will be more automated systems that support pilots in their task. Some have already been mentioned here.