PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student Pilot Go Arounds
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2016, 00:31
Pull what

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think what you are asking Lee is how many go arounds will a student make before he actually lands the aircraft correctly. FARs require that go around training be logged in the log book.

There is no one answer to that, some students take to landing like they have been doing it for years, others strugle all the way. How many go arounds are made are proportional to how many bad landings that are made.

Minor corrections can be made by the instructor at first and the student later, so for teaching purposes a poor landing may be smoothed out to improve handling awareness near the ground but before first solo the student must be in no doubt that any doubtful landing needs an immeadiate go around without instructor input

To be able to teach go arounds properly a student has to make bad landings because what you are trying to teach is an instinctive reaction to a bad landing. If the student doesnt make any bad landings that warrant a go around(and its rare) you have to make a bad landing yourself and then give him control and command him to go around.

You have to let the student struggle at first without interruption and this is where low houred instructors can be bad value because you have to really sit on your hands and mouth sometimes because you can be bounced around to hell and back but you only need to take over when its about to become dangerous, it takes many hours of instruction to identify that point. So during training a students may be allowed to go further with a bad landing than the average low hour pilot would when flying solo providing of course the instructor deems it safe.

Most landing accidents are caused by the pilot failing to initiate an early go around and this is usually as a result of this not being taught properly.

I should add that there are a variety of reasons for a go around:
On the approach, in the roundout and on the runway that need to be taught, many go arounds have nothing to do with a bad landing. The lack of mention of this here underlines how poorly this exercise is understood and taught in my opinion.