PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restarting PPL - in own 182?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2016, 23:47
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking back now - I think that the addition of the extra levers (pitch, undercarriage, cowl flaps) as well as the addition of the speed (an extra 30+kts), taking care of the engine by monitoring RPM / EGT / " of mercury... Etc... Would have been a little too much for me, despite like you being really eager to get into the faster, retractable gear aeroplane (although I went for the Arrow just because I haven't come across any 182 at Biggin Hill...yet...).

I found that I needed to be kept in my comfort zone, at the speeds that could forgive me more had I made a mistake on heading, and an engine that I didn't really need to worry about more than just checking Ts&Ps Suction & Charge on a regular basis. It simplified my life enough to feel very confident, and really, limit the number of mistakes.

After about 25 ish hours solo I did my complex differences training, and it took me another 2/3 hours to really be comfortable with it all after the training, but I was more prepared for the differences and could really concentrate on them rather than having to figure everything out in one go.

But that's just me, I may well be very different from you! Have you considered taking a lesson in a complex plane, seeing how you feel, and if its not too overwhelming for you at that stage of your training?