PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing a/c minima sep
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2016, 17:05
3miles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by confused atco
I Have no issue with sharing knowledge.

I have concerns when someone makes reference to a specific occurrence.

The individual claims they are based in Shannon ACC.

They supposedly asked a "Dublin colleague" who was not able to give then an answer.

I found it strange that their next port of inquiry was to post online.

Not to ask any of their "colleagues" in BallyCasey seems strange not to mention pressing a button on the compad and asking one of their "colleagues" in Shannon Tower.

Unlike the UK Irish ATC transmissions are not protected under law and a number of sites frequently listen in and comment online regarding what they have heard/observed.

A particular site has a user with a similar username who's Bona Fides are suspect.
Pointless asking another unit - both the MATS and ICAO state the rules and equally state that there are exemptions to it - such as the ICAO one which says departing A/C is other end of runway, the get out on that is that if the runway is sufficiently long enough blah blah, equally maybe displaced threshold factors, and point at which departures line up from- so it will always be specific especially for capacity constrained multi use runways, and procedures will be approved within mats pt 2 or equivalent. As you can see already the 493 varies on ICAO guidance.

That aside worse thing an pilot can do is go around against a rolling aircraft, unless viewed time to stop the departure - you'll always end up closer to it than you would landing even if the other one still rolling down the runway with wheels firmly on ground - one of you is getting faster the other slower - going around means you get faster and already faster than the departure so will always result in being close and both of you are in a configuration that limits any form of wild acrobatics to avoid - my advice always land it unless ATC send you around(or you think ATC fell asleep)