PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restarting PPL - in own 182?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2016, 14:09
GMR45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restarting PPL - in own 182?

Hi there,

A few years back I started on my PPL in the 172SP, logging around 22 hours and completing two separate solo flights (one in the pattern and one in the near area). Due to some changing circumstances on my part--in addition to a broken foot that prevented me from flying for nearly 3 months--I never finished my training. Now that things have settled down for me I plan to start up again.

My question is this: now that I am in a financial position to do so, I would really like to purchase an airplane for my personal use once I am fully certified. That airplane will likely be a C182 due to its capabilities, reputation as an easy-to-fly plane for low hour pilots, it's stability and IFR capabilities (I plan to begin my IR immediately after getting my PPL), and my familiarity with the high-wing Cessna configuration from my time in the 172SP. That said, as I think through it I wonder if it makes sense to go ahead and purchase the aircraft during my PPL training to a) save a little on costs associated with renting and (more importantly) b) to do my training in the aircraft I actually intend to fly so that I will have as much familiarity with its behaviour and systems as possible once I am on my own.

I understand fully that the 182 qualifies as "high-performance" due to its 230hp power output, and also will have the additional complexities of a fixed-speed prop and cowl flaps. Additionally, while the reputation in terms of overall ease of flight for a HP plane is very good, it is known for having a heavy elevator at low speeds and a particularly high need to be well trimmed at all phases of flight, at least relative to something like the 172. That said, it also should (in theory) handle well at low speeds and has stall characteristics not too dissimilar from the 172...

Am I crazy to be considering this? Is there any reason I couldn't use a 182 as a trainer, assuming of course I can find a good instructor who has logged a good amount of time in the type? Are there any other considerations I may be missing?

Thanks all and really appreciate the feedback.