PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student Pilot Go Arounds
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2016, 12:15
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That aside, I'll try to understand your question and answer where I can. Not sure of the relevance of the FAR bit, but as for:

For a Student Pilot, What is the AVERAGE number of Go-Around's a Student Pilot will attempt to complete a Landing?
If a students goes around, by definition they don't complete a landing. One doesn't 'attempt a go around' in order to complete a landing. A go-around is always an option when landing, and if the pilot (student or otherwise) is in any way unhappy with how it's going, a go-around is usually the wise option.

Second Question, Do they always "get it right"?
What, the landing or the go-around?

Landing: Sometimes a landing goes wrong for any number of reasons. A good pilot, student or otherwise, will recognise early on the point at which it's wise to go around rather than press on with the landing. A worse decision is to leave the go-around until late, a terrible decision is to 'press on regardless' no matter how badly the approach is going.

Go around: I never had any difficulty with these and I suspect that's then case for most. The biggest considerations are the trim changes in going from a low power or even power-off approach to a full power climb, re-trimming the aeroplane, and dumping 'drag' flap immediately and 'lift' flap in stages as speed builds.

A go-around from a power-off approach in the Chipmunk needs four hands; one for the power, one for the stick, one for the trim, one for the flaps. Being only blessed with two hands one compromises; apply full power with friction nut tight then leave the power momentarily and put left hand on stick. Right hand dumps drag flap and the carb heat then gets back on stick. The left hand goes from stick to trim while right hand maintains a push on the stick to contain out-of-trim-forces. Once trimmed for the full power climb the left hand goes back to power (with the friction nut set the power should stay on 'full'. If it doesn't, the nearest hand will bang it on again as a priority!). At 65 knots and accelerating in the climb the left hand again takes the stick while the right hand dumps the final stage of flap. Thereafter hands go back to left one on power, right one on stick as per normal.