PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado Replacement
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2016, 12:00
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Leon - What an excellent article from someone who clearly knows what they are talking about. I have 'heard' from a number of sources that F3 had capabilities developed to overcome some basic weaknesses that meant that it was more than a match for its peers and as seems to be the norm, was at its most capable when withdrawn from service.
I particularly liked the 'polish a turd' analogy and it will be interesting to see whether the much criticised but jaw droppingly expensive F35 will eventually be polished. I suspect it might, as for the west, it is the only show in town. The real question is how much of a turd is it. While F3 had its faults, it was fast (no other aircraft was cleared to achieve Ma 1.2 at sea level ~ 800Kts), could accelerate, could achieve 7.5g turns and, carried reasonable stores and had good range. On the other hand, F35 is not fast, has pitiful g limitations, has very limited (inboard) stores capacity, cannot accelerate and has limited range. What else do you expect for over £100m. Oh yes, it is 5th Generation...........