PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working on a CR1 visa
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2016, 09:42
Daygo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Peekay,

Thanks for the advice. I was told by immigration when I entered the US that my physical green card would take 4-6 months to arrive? Not sure if there is a massive back log or something? I arrived on the 1st Jan. I've also applied for my SSN. Hopefully my green card will arrive shortly then.

My understanding is that when my green card arrives it says nothing about being conditional and is just called a permanent resident card with a 2 year expiry (or at least I hope.)

I have been offered a job and now I'm just waiting for TSA clearance, the fun continues.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Daygo

Originally Posted by peekay4
Daygo when did you arrive? You should receive your green card within 4-6 weeks of your entry date. If you haven't received it after 60 days, be sure to call USCIS to check on its status.

Don't tell anyone you have a "visa" anymore. You no longer have a visa. That visa ceased to exist the moment immigration stamped your passport on entry. What you now have in your passport is not a visa but a 1-year I-551 permanent residency endorsement.

Yes it's "just" terminology, but if you tell people you want to work on a visa (or as the thread title suggest "on a CR1"), that's not only inaccurate but also makes life more complicated for you.

So instead, tell airlines you are a "permanent resident" and/or that you have "a green card" (when you have that physical card).

Next step is to apply for your SSN if you haven't already.