PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2016, 19:50
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC

Can't answer that one c j, although the BRS CEO, Robert Sinclair, was on BBC Radio Bristol this morning and put in a plug for WOW.

It's a two and a half hour long news programme first thing in the morning and I wasn't quite sure why the CEO came on as his interview was obviously by telephone and lasted no more than a couple of minutes.

It seems that Simon Calder had been on the programme before I tuned in and had made some comments about WOW's fares and the chances of BRS reinstating a NYC service. I presume the CEO was brought on to rebut something that ubiquitous travel journalist had said.

What the CEO did say was that he was still confident that a NYC service would be obtained in the next year or so. That's fine as far as it goes but last April a BRS spokesman said in an article published on the web regarding NYC that, “We believe we came very close to securing the route last year for this summer but missed out to another airport. We are very confident that this year will be different and we will be able to bring non-stop connectivity to the New York and wider US market directly from Bristol Airport in 2016,”

Discussions were said at that time to be at an 'advanced stage' for the return of a NYC service in 2016.

The CEO also spoke this morning of transatlantic flights to holiday destinations in a year or so.

I still have the feeling that airlines are waiting to see if APD is to be devolved to Wales. Until the Westminster government makes a decision one way or the other the matter might remain in limbo. Scotland only got APD devolved to their government as part of a package to try to prevent their voters opting for independence. There is not a similar imperative for Wales so the matter may be allowed to drift until a way is found not to disadvantage English airports too much (if there is a way which at the moment seems unclear).