PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2016, 17:04
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd runway?
hello

i don't post much on this forum but follow it regularly as i do with another forum 'skyscrapercity.com'. In the Manchester section there's a chat about Manchester's Economy and one of the posters submitted this yesterday; see esp. point 4. Is this/can this be true? Does anyone know more about this (tower configuration and/or any planning for a potential 3rd runway), it's the first time I've heard about it:

START:
I've been given some interesting info about Airport City.

Apparently:

1) EBay are joining Amazon in opening up a big distribution hub.
2) A US investment bank is opening up a UK head office at the development rather than in London.
3) The Chinese National Investment Bank are also opening a head office on the site.
4) The new control tower has been configured to allow the development of a third runway which will be situated at the Knutsford end of the site.

ENDS
Good luck with that!

Very good to see some forward long term thinking for a change!

Don't be sidetracked by nonsense such as government suggestions for a "second" Manchester airport in the (Mersey?) estuary, as was the case when LHR needed a third rwy in the 1970s, or by a "second force" set up at LPL to "compete" with MAN, as was the case with LGW when LHR needed a third rwy in the 1980s.

Learn from the LHR experience: don't put up with 50 years of government indecision, procrastination and dither.

Not quite sure how that's relevant. If Gatwick had 2 runways they probably wouldn't need to price out sub 100 seaters!
Not necessarily so.

At present the smaller carriers are priced out to allow larger operators to maximise throughput as Skipness states. This is to do with slot constraints at certain times of the day (same as LHR except there it's all day every day).

With no slot constraints (2 rwys) charges may be as high in order to pay for the second rwy.

Unfortunately, pricing out smaller aircraft reduces the number of potential feeder flights, reducing LGW's ability to be an effective hub, even with 2 rwys.

Doesn't appear to be an example that MAN should follow.