PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 18th Jan 2016, 15:55
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBK

Can you provide the reference that "all pilots are abysmal".
No, I usually try to provide evidence to back up what I said, not what others try to suggest I said.

I can, however, provide a range of evidence to back up my belief that the average pilot is awful.

What would you like?

Shall we discuss the recent crashes of a fully serviceable 777 into a San Francisco runway?
The Air France A330 with nothing wrong with it into the Atlantic?
Colgan?
The list is painfully long.....

I can also point to the new initiatives from Airbus and the FAA to try to improve pilots skills.

FAA fails to ensure pilots' manual flying skills: government report | Reuters

http://www.pprune.org/safety-crm-qa-...g-changes.html

They are not doing this because pilots are good.
They are doing it because despite the fact that most airline pilots will finish their entire career without having to deal with a single serious aircraft problem, enough of the vanishingly small amount of pilots who have to actually do that pilot sh1t are making a complete @rse of frankly banal situations to make the aircraft manufacturers look bad, and that hits the bottom line.

A large British Airline announced at a pilot gathering that over 50% of RAs at the airline were mishandled. Over 50% did not manage to put the needle in the green bit!

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe it is the pilots fault that they/we are rubbish.
I just don't think it is possible for the mortals among us to be good at anything that you rarely get to practise.
Excellence takes repeated practise.
Daily.
Hourly.
Once every six months is a joke.