PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light AC down Dundee Scotland
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2016, 14:23
Weathergirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bingofuel. I'm sorry I have to disagree. It is highly likely that this Pilot was suckered into this fateful trap. Put yourself in the Pilots seat and imagine the situation. Southerly heading to the DND, IMC and workload relatively high. DND tuned into the ADF and a direct to DND tuned into the GPS. Counting down the miles to the DND with 1 mile to run quick check of distance outbound and track required to base turn. The plate says 8 miles, Heading 255 degrees. Begin your descent, moderate rain, blustery conditions still in IMC and the Aircraft being bufferted to the extent that you are focused on flying the Aircraft. Aviate - Navigate - Communicate. You turn the Aircraft inbound and in all of this forget that you are still calculating your distance from the DND and begin your descent early. You know what happens next. My point is if the ident was next to the 8d it is highly probable this would of been the error trap that the Pilot needed and would of realised as he approached the DND at the beginning of the approach.
In the AAIB conclusion they state that mistaking GPS distance from the DND with DME distances is a common error made by Pilots. To me it's a simple solution - Put the ident next to the D8. Make it obvious because what we have at the moment is a very poor depiction and anyone could of made this mistake. A Very sad event indeed.