PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shuttle fuel burn
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 20:53
Jonno_aus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks MG23

Fascinating stuff. Also found this from Canadian astronaut Commander Chris Hadfield :

Launch is immensely powerful, and you can truly feel yourself in the centre of it, like riding an enormous wave, or being pushed and lifted by a huge hand, or shaken in the jaws of a gigantic dog. The vehicle shakes and vibrates, and you are pinned hard down into your seat by the acceleration. As one set of engines finishes and the next starts, you are thrown forward and then shoved back. The weight of over 4 Gs for many minutes is oppressive, like an enormous fat person lying on you, until suddenly, after 9 minutes, the engine shut off and you are instantly weightless. Magic. Like a gorilla was squishing you and then threw you off a cliff. Quite a ride

He also noted that it’s not possible to pass out during the launch, because you are being pushed into space while lying on your back, so your blood doesn’t end up draining out of your brain. Also, he said it takes about 15 seconds to go from a sunny day to complete darkness.

Brave indeed. And I'll happily admit now I'm not that brave and I'd only do it for the money.