PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 17:22
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Flying Time To Solo

Indeed my 1.5 Hrs suggestion was based on the MK111 3 MIN CIRCUIT.
A Cadet had to be able to be able to do turns in either direction,stall recovery,cable breaks,and get the height bands correct for a circuit.
If a Cadet found himself maintaining height on the base leg he was briefed to repeat the base leg (always turning into the airfield) until the magic 200 ft.
In practice this was only an issue on restricted runs as side slipping was not taught neither was use of spoilers. 19+ 2 checks+3 Solo was fairly common on a continuous course. 'Advanced' courses could be had at Halesland and this would include flying the prefect single seater on mainly ridge soaring, use of spoiler/air brakes and spot landings.Many C certs were obtained at Halesland in the Prefect.This was not exactly a 'large' site but the training seemed to be adequate for the situation at the time although i was surprised we did not have an 'official' land out field at the bottom of the hill.
Our CO at Kenley would not let a Staff Cadet be given a P2 until a min of 100 launches were done; with a substantial number of solo's and most dual flights having a cable break or stalls. On the normal w-end training scenario It was the lack of continuity (weather) that put up the pre solo launch situation combined with instructor changes and different circuits.This situation is no different to any other form of training 'continuity' will always give quicker results.
Anyway with two seasons now lost the 'continuity' factor has been blown away and a new word embedded in ATC Gliding (The M factor).

The good news is that with lots of spare equipment/locations/and staff kicking around the time has come to make a 'blockbuster ATC annniversary film; (Carry On Gliding) I can think of some excellent casting suggestions!!!

Last edited by POBJOY; 17th Jan 2016 at 18:11.