PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency landing
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 17:11
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
My 2 penn'orth:

Middle Eastern state-owned helicopter, skid-equipped, MAUM 2835kg, airport rules only allow approaches/departures to/from prepared surfaces. Quite right under the circumstances - the off-taxiway areas were proper hard-rock desert, and the dust generated on graded surfaces was very damaging to our engines.

Occasion 1 - Precautionary shut-down of no2 engine, night ops, still air, OAT 41 deg Celsius with runway <100ft AMSL. The options are runway (this particular airport has 2), taxiway or apron. Lighting on runway and taxiway are both edge and centreline with poor visual definition in between. Apron is very brightly floodlit, 600m plus clear area. I opted to go for the apron, which the fire crews ensured were clear of people and obstructions. Touched down at the max-allowed (for that type, in those days) 30kts and came to a stop in just under 100m. Very noisy, and the cockpit was very brightly illuminated by the shower of sparks which we were told extended to 3 aircraft lengths and double our height. Skid shoes replaced, suspect engine checked/ repaired and all was well.

Occasion 2 - running landing training, simulated single engine, daytime, OAT around 35 deg Celsius and wind 10 knots or so from 12 o'clock. Student touched down at <30 knots on runway, halfway between edge and centreline as briefed. After gently lowering the lever because it was clear that we weren't decelerating much, I didn't do enough to stop the student drifting toward the centreline. At <10 knots (estimated) we both felt a slight - and I do mean slight - bump before the aircraft came to a halt having travelled some 200m along the runway. Leaving the student at the controls, I climbed out to check the skids - right rear skid post cracked. Embarrassing runway closure for nearly 20 minutes while the heli was recovered. The skid shoe had hit one of the chamfered centreline light housings; even though the latter was only about 2 cm tall, and sloped on all sides, that was enough to break the skid post.

Lessons learned:

If it's a real emergency, go for a hard surface for all the reasons mentioned above. Be prepared - warn the pax and crew - for the very loud noise.

If you want to shorten the run-on, consider a taxiway or apron/ ORP. They have lower construction standards than the main runway, so their friction is greater. I was amazed how much the aircraft slid along the runway surface even with the lever mostly down.

If you're going to do it at night, be prepared for some very bright extra light in addition to the noise.