PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shuttle fuel burn
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 16:17
MG23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno_aus
Wonder what fancy program was written to stop the throttles from also operating the speed brake if the pilot had to manually take over after launch?
There were separate programs (or program modes) for launch and landing, so, with the throttle lever in auto mode, I guess it would depend on which program you were running.

Looks like there was also a manual override to switch between throttle and speed brake:

HSF - The Shuttle

From what I've read that lasts just over 5 mins in that position until it rolls back with the crew then 'heads up'. Must be a disconcerting feeling with the g-forces, vibrations, noise and I guess some blood draining to the head for some of that time.
Gravity will affect the shuttle and crew at the same rate, so it shouldn't matter. Most of the effects the crew felt would come from thrust and drag.

And most of the vibration went away when the SRBs separated.

Couldn't pay me enough to be an astronaut. I guess they get paid well..
I think the astronauts who gave a talk I went to in the 90s said it was in the region of $40-50,000 a year at that time. So decently middle-class, but not exactly City banker levels. I don't think anyone did it for the money!