PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 17th Jan 2016, 16:10
Dougie M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Op Granby

Not being part of the "fizz and whizz" fraternity doing their up tiddley up and down tiddley down does not mean that Albert crews didn't play a vital part of Granby. This sadly did not start so well on day1 of the conflict with the entire Hercdet being grounded due to lack of planning coordination with the spams to get us on the ACO! And us doing Red Flag for years before. On the 16th we had been running med supplies up to the field hospital at Quaisuma to receive the expected mass casualties from the forthcoming "mother of all battles". The head medic was the former wife of an Ascot captain and she boarded the aircraft after the second lift in a bad mood which was wonderful to behold. This drop dead gorgeous woman in desert trousers and a T shirt that could stop traffic shouted at us that we were bring her the wrong stuff. We promised to do better but it was nearly three days till the "White House" got us some air time.
As it happens, 25 years ago last night at midnight, I was standing on a balcony in one of the Ex Pat "Eskans" when somebody said "Do you think it will kick off soon?" I was about to say no when the ground all around started to shake like in Independence day and the "Aloominum Overcast" thundered across the desert sky, heading north. "well maybe it just might" I ventured to suggest.

Last edited by Dougie M; 17th Jan 2016 at 18:55.