PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 12:51
Mr Oleo Strut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent posts a wonderful trip down memory lane for me. I was an HP Woodley apprentice and worked on those series 100s and some of the 200s, also G-ARTC and -AODF. One of them was specially fitted out and did a world tour with the Duke of Edinburgh. Woodley still reeked of Miles in those days and was a great place in which to be an apprentice - not too big. Old Sir Fred used to come down and see us and the place was run by his son-in-law. I remember loads. The spectacular Herald take-off on snow, the howl of the Darts, the smell of thinners and whiff of fumes from degreasing fluid, the rat-tat-tat of riveting guns, the whine of Desoutter air-drills, slurry splashing in the machine shop (site of Bader's serious crash). Snoozing in Victor long-range tanks, picking ****e out of Hastings main spars. The Falcon and the Bull at Sonning. Cycling back full of shandy ready for hours of hard graft then on to college in the evening. Cycling everywhere, fit as a flea and with a pound in my pocket. Happy days, and a great pity it all went belly-up. I'm so glad that WA has survived, but I'd prefer to see her under cover!

Last edited by Mr Oleo Strut; 20th Jan 2016 at 19:07. Reason: VF = a Britannia