PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Congratulations Toby Price:
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 08:53
Rotor Work

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fantastic.
Tonight on ABC news they mentioned his accident 2 years ago where his neck was broken. I didn't realise he did the Dakar with metal rods & screws holding his head to his body.
Well done Toby
You've got my vote for Australian Sportsman of the Year.
Regards RW

A little about his accident from the Newcastle Herald

Price, who has no memory of the crash, went down in the Mojave Desert in south-eastern California racing in a round of the Hare and Hound National Championship.

Witnesses said Price, despite a heavy concussion, picked up his bike to continue before he went to the aid of another competitor who had also fallen.

Price asked where they were and complained of neck pain, at which point another rider told him to sit down.

He was flown to hospital in a helicopter. After scans, doctors rushed into Price's room to tell him not to move.

The 26-year-old had broken his C6, C7 and T1 vertebrae, leaving him perilously close to paraplegia.

If that wasn't enough, Price was told two days later he was not insured and would have to come up with $500,000 for the surgery that he needed.

The next blow came when he was told he would have to leave hospital if he could not come up with the money.

Unable to raise the cash, Price left hospital in a halo brace and spent two days lying in a hotel room with his parents by his side.

He was left with the choice of risking paraplegia on a 14-hour flight home, where his operation would be covered by insurance, or stay and let the injury heal without the proper support.

"It was a scary thing to fly back on a commercial airline with the halo system on my head and a broken neck, but that's the risk I had to take," Price said.

"I either sit over there and heal the way I was for six months then my career would be pretty much wrecked anyway.

"I just took the gamble to come back on the plane and, if things went wrong, I'd be buggered two ways.

"It was a massive risk to take, but I'd rather try to get fixed and have a go at getting back over here. Fortunately it's worked out really well."

Price arrived in Brisbane at 7am on Anzac Day and was on an operating table at Brisbane Private Hospital by 1pm.

Spinal surgeon Paul Licina inserted two rods and eight screws and fused vertebrae in Price's back to ensure he could ride again.

After seven months of rehabilitation, Price was back to full training in November and started his comeback with a second in the Day In The Dirt event in California in December.