PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation dependency stripped of political correctness.
Old 17th Jan 2016, 08:41
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be two issues here that while not unrelated are perhaps being somewhat conflated.

Automation dependency and autonomous flight are not the same issue and although they will inevitably merge at some point, we're a few years off.

Interestingly, I listened to a talk on ' ABC big ideas' recently by Professor Alan Finkel, Australia's new chief scientist who talked on 'Future shock again'. He didn't address aviation, however he did talk quite calmly about the approach of what computer scientists call 'The Singularity'

This is the time when computer processing power, whether it be defined as artificial intelligence or otherwise, overtakes human capacity for reason, and judgement. He talked about computers then being designed solely by other computers and henceforth being able to develop themselves much quicker than we can. It was an eye opening talk from someone experienced as an entrepreneur, electrical engineer and neuroscientist. Even still he talks of this being at least a few years off yet.

Nevertheless, it seems that that the main concerns that we face as professional pilots in the here and now are automation dependency and I think Others have already outlined the issues pretty well, what will be most significant for me is the fallout from QZ8501 and what may or may not change as a result. I think the writing has been on the wall for some time but whether or not anything is done form here is another issue again.