PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Granby Memories
Thread: Granby Memories
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 06:53
MrBernoulli

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
In particular, RIP Max Collier, 27 Sqn, killed in action with Nige Elsdon the following night whilst attacking Shaibah. Max had been the nav plotter on my first Vulcan crew 14 years earlier and we'd spoken only a few days before he was killed.
Beags, just prior to all the squadrons leaving Marham for places various in the Gulf, there was a big Happy Hour in the OM and the very last 2 beers I bought that evening, recorded in my bar book, were for Nigel and Max. Didn't know either of them very well before that get-together in the bar, but there was so much camaraderie amongst the crews and others that evening, and the greater than normal inter-mingling of squadron personnel was noticeable.

My first sortie of the War was providing out-and-back AAR for the formation that included the Peters/Nichol crew. One's morale takes a a bit of hit when a crew is missing on one's first soirée!

I still do the occasional schedule to Bahrain with the current employer, and landing at Muharraq still brings back memories of the sights, sounds and smells of that time!