PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question: How stiff are the pedals on your helo?
Old 17th Jan 2016, 06:41
GipsyMagpie

Pedal force requirements are not constant. In the hover I don't want over sensitive light pedals if I'm trying to hold a heading but if transitioning to the hover I don't want to faint from the effort of moving the pedals. Gazelle had hydraulic dampers in the pedals to modify the forces depending on how fast you moved the pedals - although probably more to stop block footed pilots starting a left yaw too fast and precipitating the phenomenon known as Fenestron Stall (it doesn't actually stall of course)). Aircraft with levels of augmentation can have some variation in force too - some have force breakouts which hold the pedals still so the AFCS can do its thing but transparent release if the pilots chooses to take over. Others have micro switches which have sudden change between the two modes - not so cool.

I think a consistent high force chosen at the design stage would rapidly annoy pilots whereas light firces light be just described as twitchy. When comparing with fixed wing, they don't have to make spot turns in the hover, nor level out from an autorotative descent. When they do need lots of pedal they have rudder trim (light piston twins).

If your helicopter suddenly has stiffer controls its definitely bad but differences between types not so clear cut.