PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shuttle fuel burn
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 04:30
Jonno_aus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good read

Space Shuttle Systems 101 - More Than You Ever Needed To Know About The Space Shuttle Main Engines

Some interesting stuff. Couple things caught my untrained and knowledge-less eye :

The power settings during flight are controlled automatically but if necessary the pilot can manually throttle the engines with a thrust lever located to the left of his seat, this is the same lever used to operate the speed brake during landing. The commander also has a similar lever for the speed brake but it is not capable of throttling the engines.

Wonder what fancy program was written to stop the throttles from also operating the speed brake if the pilot had to manually take over after launch? Obviously not a problem later on on approach if no rockets attached. And limiting having too many levers etc on the flight deck. Interesting nontheless.

At this point the vehicle will begin a roll, pitch and yaw maneuver that places it on its back (crew heads down) as it tracks the appropriate flight path for the desired orbit

From what I've read that lasts just over 5 mins in that position until it rolls back with the crew then 'heads up'. Must be a disconcerting feeling with the g-forces, vibrations, noise and I guess some blood draining to the head for some of that time.

Couldn't pay me enough to be an astronaut. I guess they get paid well..