PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jock Pies
Thread: Jock Pies
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2016, 00:57
Ogre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jock pies were a staple part of the diet when I was growing up, at home they were oven heated and the lid filled with hot baked beans as a favourite. Cold they were put into lunch boxes or bought out of the bakers before day trips out.

Getting them deep fried from the chip shop was a great way of keeping the cold out (before cholesterol levels were invented), the trick of eating them was to open one end of the newspaper so the pie was on top and the chips were below, so as you picked the pie apart any fats or juices were absorbed by the chips below.

Back when I grew up there were two "fast food" options, the local chippie and the Chinese restaurant across the road from it. Chinese was only for special occasions, chip shop meals were a little more affordable. Chip shops in my part of the world didn't just do fish and pies, we had a whole selection of meals including scampi, fish cakes, puddings (black, white, red and haggis), sausages (including savaloy which foreign) and pizza, all of which were deep fried.

I admit that I was 11 or 12 before I found out that pizza wasn't supposed to be deep fried.....